Re: [jetty-dev] Feedback on proposed start.jar and start.ini changes.

Several products use this technique.

Check out your .git/hooks/ directory on your jetty checkout :-)

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Developer advice, services and support

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The same directory with .disabled suffix is interesting, but different to what is done with apache and init.d etc

So more feedback on this choice would be good.

--
sent by my android.

On 26/04/2013 9:05 PM, "Holger Hoffstaette" <holger.hoffstaette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:19:18 +1000, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> So the change that I'm proposing (and have available in the
> jetty-9-modularstart branch) is to break out all the sections of start.ini
> into either a start.d/XXX-foobar.ini file (enabled feature) or a
> start.available/XXX-foobar.ini (disabled feature).

A good idea! Monolithic/aggregate configurations are bad.
However instead of duplicating files separated over two directories I'd
suggest having only one and anything not ending in .ini being ignored, so
that available but disabled (ending e.g. in .ini.disabled) configurations
can be simply renamed when necessary.
In my experience most people simply cannot handle duplicated & separated
information across two locations. Doing this does not preclude copying or
symlinking indstead of renaming for those who want it. It also reduces the
number of system configuration directories that need to be writable.

Hope that makes sense.

Holger