Re: [jetty-dev] Feedback on proposed start.jar and start.ini changes.

+1 on adding into 9.0.3 or 9.0.4

I think this is a great step for making distributions that much easier to mold to different needs, this would make the jetty-beanstalk and jetty-buildpack integrations that much easier as well

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Holger Hoffstaette <holger.hoffstaette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:19:18 +1000, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> So the change that I'm proposing (and have available in the
> jetty-9-modularstart branch) is to break out all the sections of start.ini
> into either a start.d/XXX-foobar.ini file (enabled feature) or a
> start.available/XXX-foobar.ini (disabled feature).

A good idea! Monolithic/aggregate configurations are bad.
However instead of duplicating files separated over two directories I'd
suggest having only one and anything not ending in .ini being ignored, so
that available but disabled (ending e.g. in .ini.disabled) configurations
can be simply renamed when necessary.
In my experience most people simply cannot handle duplicated & separated
information across two locations. Doing this does not preclude copying or
symlinking indstead of renaming for those who want it. It also reduces the
number of system configuration directories that need to be writable.

Hope that makes sense.

Holger