Re: [jetty-dev] Feedback on proposed start.jar and start.ini changes.

+1

Am 4/26/13 6:19 AM, schrieb Greg Wilkins:

The breakdown I have in the current branch is

start.d
├── 100-jetty.ini
├── 110-jmx.ini
├── 110-jsp.ini
├── 200-npn.ini
├── 200-ssl.ini
├── 210-http.ini
├── 210-spdy.ini
├── 500-deploy.ini
└── 900-demo.ini
start.available/
├── 000-jvm.ini
├── 110-logging.ini
├── 110-setuid.ini
├── 200-npn.ini
├── 200-ssl.ini
├── 210-https.ini
├── 210-spdy.ini
├── 300-plus.ini
├── 300-requestlog.ini
├── 400-debug.ini
├── 400-ipaccess.ini
├── 400-lowresources.ini
└── 400-stats.ini

Everything in start.d should be in start.available as well. So people have some kind of backup if they accidently delete stuff in start.d which turns out to be needed. You've that for some stuff 210-spdy.ini but are missing some like 110-jmx.ini.

#===========================================================
jetty.keystore=/etc/acme.keystore
jetty.keystore.password=MySecretPassword
jetty.keymanager.password=MySecretKeyPassword
jetty.truststore=/etc/acme.keystore
jetty.truststore.password=MySecretPassword
jetty.secure.port=443
jetty.https.port=8443
etc/jetty-ssl.xml
etc/jetty-https.xml
#===========================================================

Giving some examples of this property based configuration in the distribution is something we should have had way earlier in the distribution. Way to go!

To further help this modular approach, I've also added the --download
option to start.jar which can download an additional jar IF it does not
exist.   This is used in the npn ini files to get the npn jar (which
cannot be distributed from eclipse) the first time the config is run.
The 200-npn.ini file now says:

--exec
--download=http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty/npn/npn-boot/1.1.5.v20130313/npn-boot-1.1.5.v20130313.jar:lib/npn/npn-boot-1.1.5.v20130313.jar
-Xbootclasspath/p:lib/npn/npn-boot-1.1.5.v20130313.jar

Nice and simple one as well.

I'd really like some feedback on these changes:

  * Are they a good idea?  how could they be improved?
  * When should we do them?   9.0.x? or 9.1.x?

It would have been great if we had them in 9.0.0. But as we're still early in the new release, I think we should rather go for 9.0.x to have all jetty 9 adaptors as early as possible using the new approach. Even if that might cause some small pain for people who upgraded to 9 before.
  * Is the --download option safe.  If it is safe, does it look
    dangerous enough to scare people?
Doesn't scare me as the preconfigured download is from maven central. But remember that the npn jar is jdk specific. So the same download might not work for all users.
  * What other things can we do to make customising a standard
    distribution a bit easier?

The new even more modular way of configuring jetty components and the start.d approach are a good step forward!

Back to the top