[jetty-dev] Jetty and Cometd at JavaOne

All,

Simone Bordet and I will be at JavaOne next week speaking about evolving web protocols: WebSocket, SPDY and HTTP/2.0

  https://oracleus.activeevents.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=8074

This will also include a demonstration of Jetty-9 running these protocols (summary of Jetty-9 below).

It would be great to have Jetty users developers along to our talk.  Also if you are at JavaOne or in the area and fancy getting together
for some drinks and chat, then drop us a line and we'll see if we can set a time and place.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.webtide.com

Jetty-9 is has significant reworking of the jetty architecture to:

  • Based on Java 7 -  By dropping support for older JVMs jetty has been able to remove areas of abstraction in order to take advantage of improved APIs in the JVM regarding concurrency and nio.

  • Direct support for next generation protocols -  SPDY, Websockets, MUX and HTTP/2.0 are actively replacing the venerable HTTP/1.1 protocol.  Jetty directly supports these protocols as equals and first class siblings to HTTP/1.1.   This means a lighter faster container that is simpler and more flexible to deal with the rapidly changing mix of protocols currently being experienced as HTTP/1.1 is replaced.

  • Content Push - SPDY v3 supporting including content push within both the client and server.  This is a potentially huge optimization for websites that know what a browser will need in terms of _javascript_ files or images, instead of waiting for a browser to ask first.

  • Improved Websocket Server and Client -  Very fast websocket implementation, fully compliant autobahn test suite (http://autobahn.ws/testsuite)

  • Servlet 3.1 ready -  We are actively tracking this developing spec in a branch that will become jetty-9.1 once the spec is complete.

  • Asynchronous HTTP client - refactored to simplify API, while retaining the ability to run many thousands of simultaneous requests, used as a basis of our websocket and cometd clients.

  • Pluggable modules - one distribution with integration with libraries, third party technologies, and web applications available for download through a simple command line interface

  • Improved SSL Support - the proliferation of mobile devices that use SSL has manifested in many atypical client implementations, support for these edge cases in SSL has been thoroughly refactored such that support is now understandable and maintainable by humans

Back to the top