Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty-9 and aggregates

There's also ...

4. the duplicate classes exist at a different Maven coordinate space.
    Now that we have jetty-client, jetty-websockets, jetty-spdy, jetty-npn, jetty-servlets, all usable by other projects, that means if you decide to use the maven aggregate JAR file in maven and use a separate dependency that pulls in other parts of jetty, you will have duplicate classes, even at different versions.
    We are currently seeing this with our orbit dependencies, which will also be addressed by the Eclipse side IP folks now that Juno is out.

What I want to re-emphasize, is that having a POM (with <packaging>pom</packaging>) for the aggregates is fine, and perfectly reasonable, and will address all of the type 1 users (those using maven).

Having the aggregate JAR files isn't appropriate for maven or maven central.
To support type 2 users (those not using the maven repository system), we can still generate the aggregate JAR files, on release, for distribution to our downloads directory on eclipse.org.  That is also a reasonable thing to do.
Choice #2 for type 2 users is to provide a means to build the aggregates themselves via some tooling in the distribution (the tooling doesn't have to be that complicated, an ant build script, or shell/bat script should be sufficient)

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
www.webtide.com