Re: [jetty-dev] source code for HttpServlet

Hi Hugues, what you say makes sense.. thanks for all the help.. I'll join the jetty-users mailing list as you suggest.

-Simon

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:06, Hugues Malphettes <hmalphettes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Nesa Simon David <hellznrg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Hugues, thanks for the reply...
>
> Yes that's the one, "javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet"
>
> It used to be in Jetty version 5
> ( http://jetty.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jetty/Jetty/src/javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.java?view=log ).
> But I can't find it in the current version of Jetty..
>
> I tried looking online and people say that, yes, javax is part of the Java
> EE specification, but that each EE implementation (for example Tomcat,
> glassfish, etc) has to implement all the classes in the specification. I
> assume that means tomcat has its own HttpServlet, glassfish has its own
> HttpServlet, and so presumably Jetty should have its own HttpServlet? or am
> I wrong?
In fact the servlet containers do not implement javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
Classes in the package javax and its sub-packages are all provided by
the specification.
Classes implemented by jetty or all in org.eclipse.jetty and its
sub-packages since jetty-7.
Older Jetty versions have their classes are in org.mortbay

> In any case, the Java EE bundle (from the java website) contains glassfish
> source... does it mean that Jetty uses the glassfish's HttpServlet.java?

In fact the servlet jar was packaged by glassfish and jetty reused it as is.
Note that this does not mean that glassfish is responsible for the
sources of javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.
It means that we trust that glassfish did take the sources provided by
the servlet spec; did not modify them and packaged them properly.
Hence we can safely reuse the packaged servlet library as provided by
glassfish.

Sources in the libraries provided by the spec are final: I recommend
you change the application code to workaround the unexpected behavior
that you see.

I would suggest that you switch to the jetty-users@xxxxxxxxxxx if you
have further questions.

Thanks,