[jetty-dev] Support for environment variables in jetty's configuration files?

Hi there,

I was wondering if we should add to jetty.xml the support to read
environment variables.

Jesse mentionned that there was some history related to supporting or
not the environment variables.
Hence here is the complete usecase.

I completed a prototype to run jetty in Cloud-Foundry on github. It
requires a new "vcap-staging" plugin.
Cloudfoundry is runtime agnostic so all that is needed is a plugin to
execute "java -jar start.jar"
and a little glue code to read the port on which jetty should start.
Cloudfoundry passes the value for the port as an environment variable.

In fact Cloudfoundry also passes all the configuration parameters as
values of environment variables.
For example the connection to the databases are the values of the
environment variable VCAP_SERVICES; serialized as JSON.
And custom env variables are also supported.

Should I file the request for enhancement and work on a patch eventually?
Let me know if other people are working on cloudfoundry.
We could work on an even tighter integration on the jetty-side and
collaborate on the vcap plugin.

Cheers,
Hugues

Back to the top