Re: [jetty-dev] Git Branching

I like it simple too. So...simply agreed.

On 08/07/2011 01:48, Jesse McConnell wrote:
Well, with our switch to git we have this issue to contend with once
more...how do we want to manage this.

My proposal is pretty simple.

- master is trunk
- releases all occur from master
- branches are pulled as needed
- collaborate on branches all you want
- branches should be merged back to trunk well before it needs to be released

the release plugin will tag accordingly so we are always able to go
back to pull a branch on a release if we need to

We could go with lots of fancy approaches but really, we are not that
many developers and we are not all super active all across the
codebase all the time and shouldn't need to go for anything super
complex.  I am in favorite of an organic approach based on what has
basically worked in the past and ideally now that we are on git it
will just be easier to do what we have done before.

Also, one last issue that Greg mentioned that deserves being highlighted.

Branching is dead simple in git, but you are left with pom.xml
versions that are the same for different code in different places.
This can lead to confusion if your not building all of the artifacts
on a branch.  KEEP THIS IN MIND.

If its an issue, consider using the versions plugin to set the version
to something suitable for the branch and then switch it back before
commit, or work out another approach...but this is a key hangup that
could catch you if your not aware.

Now, any other suggestions on branching strategies or the like?  This
is just my opinion cause I like to keep things pretty simple. :)

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell