[jetty-dev] Re: Cometd build problem: Found

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 23:23, Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think the exceptions that I am concerned about are already wrapped.
> So we should be able to better detect them.
>
> But if we are sending 500 and closing, we should also add the
> close connection header.

Agree, if we do close the connection. After all, a 500 is a response
like any other and the connection can still be good.

> I'll have a look this morning.
>
> But also note that a server is entitled to close a connection
> at anytime after sending a legal HTTP/1.1 response.   So the
> client should detect the close and handle it.  Failing that,
> when it goes to reuse it, and it fails - that should be
> handled and a new connection used (clients are hard!).

Being defensive on the client look pretty expensive, and as you said
not automatic (POSTs cannot be retried).
I guess like you said the client should expect a good server or fail
hard, and notify the failure.

> Which client is this? Is this just your test client?

No it's jetty-client.

Simon
--
http://bordet.blogspot.com