[jetty-announce] Jetty 9.1.0.v20131115 Stable Release!

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first stable release of Jetty 9.1

  Jetty 9.1.0.v20131115

Distribution Downloads:

  http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/stable-9/dist/

The artifacts are also available in Maven Central.
P2 repositories should be available soon.

Documentation:

The documentation for Jetty 9.1 is still catching up, but its improving every day.

  http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/

New Features in Jetty 9.1:

  Servlet API 3.1
    - Async I/O

  JSR-356
    - javax.websocket support

  Jetty WebSocket API
    - Streaming support

  Server Speed Improvements:
    - Shockingly fast response times

  New Async Http Client:
    - Our best yet, complete cleanup, faster than you can believe.

  New Connector Architecture:
    - We are now 100% NIO, no more blocking I/O connectors.
    - We no longer have different connectors for different protocols.
      Now you have a ServerConnector, which supports all various flavors of
      connector configurations (http, https, ssl, spdy/2, spdy/3, etc).
      Specifically architected to support new fallback techniques and upcoming
      protocols (eg: http/2 when the spec is final)

  New Startup! - http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/startup.html
    - New module system
      Gone are OPTIONS and OPTION for managing your classpath.
      Introducing the new --module= system for enabling a module in an atomic fashion.
      See $ java -jar start.jar --help for details.

    - Cleaner and more relevant information about the server configuration
      Use $ java -jar start.jar --list-config

    - New ${jetty.base} support separate from ${jetty.home}
        ${jetty.home} is the directory location for the jetty distribution (the binaries).
        ${jetty.base} is the directory location for your customizations to the distribution.
      This separation allows for managing multiple jetty installations,
      as well making simple jetty installation upgrades of your jetty distribution easy.

      To see this in action, see the /demo-base/ directory in the distribution:
        # unpack the distribution
        [user]$ tar -zxvf jetty-distribution-9.1.0.v20131115.tar.gz
        [user]$ cd jetty-distribution-9.1.0.v20131115

        # switch to the demo-base directory
        [jetty-distribution-9.1.0.v20131115]$ cd demo-base

        # look at the configuration
        [demo-base]$ java -jar ../start.jar --list-config

        .. (snip/lots of output) ..

        # run the demo-base
        [demo-base]$ java -jar ../start.jar

Important Notes for Those Upgrading from Jetty 9.0:

  There are no planned, future, releases of Jetty 9.0.x!

  First Servlet 3.1 Release:
    This is our first release supporting Servlet 3.1, this means that
    many of internal APIs have been changed to support these features.
    This also means that many of the configuration concepts have been
    updated to support the various new Servlet 3.1 features.

  New Startup:
    The following startup configurations have been REMOVED.
      OPTION=
      OPTIONS=
      LIB=
      start.config
      -DSTART=
    These have all be replaced with our module system.
    See documentation: http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/startup.html

Reporting Bugs:

If you find an issue with this release you can open a bug through the guided bugzilla page located here:

  https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Jetty&format=guided

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Expert advice, services and support from from the Jetty & CometD experts

Back to the top