Re: [jdt-ui-dev] location of invalidation logic of semantic highlighting

Hi Simon

I would start by looking into org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.SemanticHighlightingPresenter. Note that for other scenarios where you type and the code becomes temporarily incorrect, you will need to have some sort of error recovery on the model side, so that it can still report a partial/recovered AST and model elements.

Dani

From:        Simon Schäfer <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse JDT UI developers list." <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        04.03.2014 13:25
Subject:        [jdt-ui-dev] location of invalidation logic of semantic highlighting
Sent by:        jdt-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello everyone,

I'm writing my own IDE and try to mimic the behavior of JDT. One thing I
really like in the Java editor is how colorization of semantic
highlighting is done after an identifier is invalidated.

When one changes an identifier in the Java editor, for example a method
name, the method name keeps it color, without the need of semantic
highlighting to jump in. The Java editor remembers that the identifier
had already a name - in my implementation this caching behavior is not
implemented. Instead on each keystroke the current identifier is
invalidated and has to be recolored, which happens after a short delay
(and because semantic highlighting does not run in he UI thread).

I'm extending CompilationUnitEditor and found out that the invalidation
already happened before my own code is invoked. Thus I assume that the
invalidation happens somewhere in JDT but I couldn't find out where
exactly. Can someone tell me where the invalidation happens?

Simon