[jdt-ui-dev] location of invalidation logic of semantic highlighting

Hello everyone,

I'm writing my own IDE and try to mimic the behavior of JDT. One thing I really like in the Java editor is how colorization of semantic highlighting is done after an identifier is invalidated.

When one changes an identifier in the Java editor, for example a method name, the method name keeps it color, without the need of semantic highlighting to jump in. The Java editor remembers that the identifier had already a name - in my implementation this caching behavior is not implemented. Instead on each keystroke the current identifier is invalidated and has to be recolored, which happens after a short delay (and because semantic highlighting does not run in he UI thread).

I'm extending CompilationUnitEditor and found out that the invalidation already happened before my own code is invoked. Thus I assume that the invalidation happens somewhere in JDT but I couldn't find out where exactly. Can someone tell me where the invalidation happens?

Simon

Back to the top