Re: [jdt-ui-dev] Eclipse's LTK: Master's thesis help

Hi Obaid

There's no new document or tutorial available. You will have to read the LTK Refactoring APIs and see how they are used in JDT. http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/ui/articles/JDT_fundamentals2010.zip give a more general overview of the JDT fundamentals.

Dani

From: "Obaid A. Maroof" <maroof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date: 18.08.2012 11:57
Subject: [jdt-ui-dev] Eclipse's LTK: Master's thesis help

Dear Sir,

I am a masters student at University Of Bonn and these days I am working
on my masters thesis. The topic of my masters thesis is to extend the
refactoring functionality in Eclipse to the most generic level in order to
make them accessible to as many Eclipse tools as possible. Currently I am
in the phase of exploring eclipse's LTK in order to gain better
understanding of given APIs and their usage.

In this regard, the starting point was to read Mr. Tobias Widmer's well
written tutorial on refactoring - which addresses a basic 'Introduce
Indirection' refactoring - on the following link:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Unleashing-the-Power-of-Refactoring/index.html

Now the problem I am facing is that most of the help referring to the LKT
is quite outdated (the above referred tutorial was also written in year
2007) and when I compared the source code of the original 'Introduce
indirection' refactoring - that comes with eclipse - with the one that
Tobias tutored, I found a significant difference between the API usage and
method calls. I looked for some other reading material too but again they
are either too abstract or outdated.

So I would really appreciate if the JDT team can provide me any good
reading material or refer me towards any updated tutorial in this
direction.

Thanks in advance and looking forward for your response.

Thanking yours,
Obaid

--------
Obaid Abdul Maroof