[jdt-ui-dev] JUnit View - result ordering

Hi,

Firstly I apologise if this is not the appropriate forum for this query, and
would appreciate being redirected to a more suitable forum if necessary.

My query is with respect to the JUnit View in Eclipse, and more specifically
with respect to the display of the results.

In brief one of the difficulties I have, is in finding an entry in the view
for a specific result. I would like to find out if either there are options
that I am no aware of, suggestions on how to easily achieve this, or if there
are suggestions on how to implement improvements to this functionality.

I am, however, aware of the sensitivity around this issue and like to stress
that I am not in any way wanting to affect or control the test execution
order. I strongly agree with the need for isolation of tests and ensuring that
dependencies between tests are not explicitly or accidentally introduced.

However, in doing test driven development I often find it useful to rerun all
my unit tests and then to navigate through them for review (even in the case
where there are no failures) - this might be to visually check timings, to
help me decide what tests to implement next, or to simply jog my own memory or
thoughts around the overall picture of the system etc. Following this I might
want to return to the development of either a single test method or add tests
to a single test class, in which case I would often use the existing controls
in the JUnit View to rerun just the one test, or the test case.

In order to facilitate this I have a few possible suggestions of alternatives
that would help provide the functionality I am hoping for, and I would like to
hear other peoples view on, and ideas for how to possibly include some variant
of these as features in the current JUnit View:

    - Include a 'Sort' button:
        This is purely to sort the display of the results by package and class
        name.  i.e. to switch between "execution order" or "name order". This
        could possibly be extended to other types of sorts e.g. "execution
        duration order" etc.

    - Include a 'Search' bar:
        Rather than changing the display order of the results, simply provide
        a search bar to be able to quickly find and entry by typing in the
        package or class name etc.

    - Include a 'Filter' option:
        Similar to the 'Show Failures Only' filter, but filtering by name.
        Again, the execution order is not affected, but it simply makes it
        easier to navigate through the results by typing in a package or class
        name etc.

    - Include a 'Link with Editor' option:
        Similar to the 'Link with Editor' between the 'Package Explorer' and
        the 'Editor' pane. This way, if I navigated to the class and method
        for a given test then, then the JUnit View could be positioned on that
        test in the display of the result set.

Any guidance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Regards,
Stewart.

--