Re: [jdt-ui-dev] Making breadcrumb public?

Hi Rob

> I was wondering if there are any plans to make the breadcrumb part ofa
> public api.
> I would like to use this neat feature for our own editor as well.

AFIK there are no plans to do so.

> We have a few editors in our system that would benefit from the
> breadcrumb feature.
> Some of these editors are not text-based editors but GEF-editors
> or just
> editors with some elements.
> It seems that the current breadcrumb code is depending on being used
> for
> text editors, for us this should be relaxed to any type of editor.

The difficulties with the breadcrumb is to get the action activation/deactivation right when the focus changes to/away from the breadcrumb. IMHO changing the EditorBreadcrumb to use an IEditorPart instead of an ITextEditor shouldn't be too much of a problem. But when we do so we should really add the breadcrumb code to platform/ui (org.eclipse.ui.workbench I guess) and make it public API there. JDT/UI does not control this bundle. A high quality patch might motivate platform/ui to add such an API...

Good luck
Benno

--
Benno Baumgartner, Senior Software Engineer
www.comerge.net

Back to the top