RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Faster Open-Type Dialog

I fully agree that the Open Type dialog should be faster and we plan to
make it faster. I like the idea, but I'm reluctant to put it in without a
preference option. Since I'm sure we will get PRs as Scott has pointed out.

Here is what we are currently doing.

on first open
1) search for all types
2) show only the types starting with A initially in the dialog
3) cache the list of all types, the cache is flushed whenever a
     type is added or deleted
4) as the user types create table items for all matches

on subsequent opens, reuse the cache if possible.

The most annoying step is 4) given that adding or deleting
types is rare and the cached type list should be up to date.
The annoyance is that the table population is done in the
UI thread.  We are considering populating
the table table in batches in a background thread. The population
is pre-empted whenever the input changes.

Regarding single character class names. I looks like the crypto packages
contained in 1.4 were obfuscated.

To avoid the "i" import when developing
against 1.4 you can set the preference in organize imports to ignore
classes that start with lower case.

--erich

                      "Randy Hudson"
                      <hudsonr@xxxxxx.c         To:      jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Faster Open-Type Dialog
                      jdt-ui-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      02/28/2002 10:16
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      jdt-ui-dev

Actually, Sun has a class called "i".

And someone told me that there was a time when organize imports would find
a variable "i" in your code and import that class from Suns security
package.

Thanks Sun.

                      "Scott

                      Stanchfield"             To:
<jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                      <scott@javadude.c        cc:

                      om>                      Subject:  RE: [jdt-ui-dev]
Faster Open-Type Dialog
                      Sent by:

                      jdt-ui-dev-admin@

                      eclipse.org

                      02/28/2002 02:52

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      jdt-ui-dev

> Here is my "patch" for making the OpenTypeDialog faster.  I assumed that
> noone wants to search for a class with fewer chars than 2, or perform a
> wildcard search with fewer chars than 3.

Nice idea... this would make an interesting option, though wording it right
would be tricky. I can see the first "Why can't I find class A?" complaint,
though...

A better complaint: "Why did you call the class A?"
-- Scott

Scott Stanchfield         FGM, Inc.            scott@xxxxxxx

Home Page: http://javadude.com            scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lead author of "Effective VisualAge for Java, Version 3"
                                      http://javadude.com/evaj

VisualAge for Java Tips and Tricks     http://javadude.com/vaj

AWT & Swing FAQ Manager, jGuru.com
Visit for Java Enlightenment!             http://www.jguru.com