region framework, was: [jdt-ui-dev] Re: [eclipse-dev] TypePage

Mariano Kamp 02/24/2002 09:27PM
>> For an ejb is more than one type to be generated, leaving alone the
>> dd. Having the model and controll logic separated from the ui I
>> could extend the current model and trigger the generation myself
>> and generate more than one CU. Btw. I don't think that ejbs are the
>> only potential clients, which aren't fitting in the current
>> picture.

You're not (IMHO :-) I'd like to see a framework for doing "regions,"
i.e. related groups of generated stuff.

Erich Gamma 02/24/2002 05:08PM
> This makes sense, but frameworks (and this is what we are discussing
> here, i.e., a creation framework for Java classes) should evolve
> from concrete examples, rather than the other way around. Frameworks
> have a high API cost and therefore: it has to really hurt before
> doing one...

We'd like for OTI to merely _share_ our pain :-)

>> I know it is much easier to critize, than .... I really do not
>> intend to be offensive here and I probably missed the whole point -
>> it is meant constructive.

> don't worry. It is constructive, concrete code would even be more
> constructive <g>

Something to look at (if you can, I dunno about its visibility outside
IBM): the Web Region Framework

http://wampa.raleigh.ibm.com/WebRegionOverview5.1/index.html

WRF can use the EMF JET templating (also Java classes) to create and
populate groups of generated files (a lá JSP).

Unfortunately (for my purposes) this is a bit too
implementation-specific: I'd really love to see a more abstract
version of something like this in the JDT.

FWIW, Tom Roche <tlroche@xxxxxxxxxx>

Back to the top