Re: [jdt-ui-dev] class-creation abstraction?

We have worked on Class Creation support in the 2.0 stream.
The classes are ready to use but still internal. We will
promote them to public as soon as we get more feedback from
early adopters. The class you want to start with is:
       org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizardsTypePage
I've attached its class comment. Please give it a try and provide
us with feedback.

This is the right list for asking such questions.

--erich

/**
 * <code>TypePage</code> contains controls and validation routines for a
'New Type WizardPage'
 * Implementors decide which components to add and to enable. Implementors
can also
 * customize the validation code.
 * <code>TypePage</code> is intended to serve as base class of all wizards
that create types.
 * Applets, Servlets, Classes, Interfaces...
NewInterfaceCreationWizardPage</code> for an
 * example usage of TypePage.
 */

                      "Thomas L Roche"
                      <tlroche@xxxxxx.c         To:      jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: [jdt-ui-dev] class-creation abstraction?
                      jdt-ui-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      02/18/2002 12:18
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      jdt-ui-dev

Is anyone out there working on class-creation abstraction?
Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions regarding extensible class
creation? Why I ask:

I'm working with a tooling group on a plugin that includes, among
other things, a wizard that generates (stubby source for) Java
classes. We would like to "open this up" to allow easier development
of related wizards for generating similar code, and suspect it would
be A Real Good Thing to have a base abstract class-generation wizard.
In fact, we suspect it would be even better if the JDT provided a
standard abstract class-generation Wizard/Page for everyone to use :-)
thinking that class creation is a task sufficiently general that users
will expect a consistent interface.

Is this good thinking? Or should we just copy-and-hack
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.NewClassCreationWizard< | Page> to
suit our purposes? (Not that that's very appealing: our previous
copy-and-hack got broken by migration to Eclipse v2.) Or something
completely different?

Also, please lemme know if

* this list is an inappropriate destination for this question. I'm not
  sure if youse consider this "related to the implementation of the
  relevant component" or a "[general question] about using Eclipse."

* posting to both this list and e.tools constitutes spammery.

TIA, Tom Roche <tlroche@xxxxxxxxxx>