[jdt-ui-dev] getting eclipse to run

hi
sorry to bother you with this
but I can't get eclipse to run from eclipse

I checked out the jdt.ui project with all its
dependent projects
I use the swt.jat and the startup.jar from the latest nightly build

everything compiles fine
but when I try to run the Main.class from the startup.jar (in an own project
or in every other project)
it says:

Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Application not found:
org.eclipse.ui.workbench
	at
org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.jav
a:813)
	at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:285)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:151)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:502)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:362)

how did you set up your workspace ?
what do I do wrong ?

greetings
  Jens Lukowski