Re: [jdt-dev] Java 21 support for Eclipse 2023-09 (4.29)

On Wed, 2023-09-20 at 06:01 +0000, Manoj Nalledathu Palat via jdt-dev
wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the Java 21 support for Eclipse 2023-09
> (4.29).
>
> The release notably includes the support of the following standard
> Java 21 features:
>
> [21] JEP 440: Record Patterns
> [21] JEP 441: Pattern Matching for switch
>
> The release can be obtained through one of the following ways:
>
>        1. Java 21 Marketplace entry
> : https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/java-21-support-eclipse-202
> 3-09-429
>        2. P2 update site
> : https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.29-P-builds/
>        3. Additionally, the Java 21 support will be available on 4.29
> from an integration build soon [tracked
> viahttps://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/issues/1396] -
> download from https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/.
>
> The known issues and the preview features are retargeted to 4.30
> timeframe or to the next Java version as appropriate.

Thanks to everyone who worked on getting this out!

For downstream consumers of the work done towards "Java 21 Support",
are there any best practices/requirements around announcing this when
some preview features are not yet complete ?

Alex pointed me to https://openjdk.org/jeps/12 (regarding preview
features) :

"The desire for feedback and the expectation of quality means that
these features are not "optional"; they must all be supported in full
by every implementation of Java SE $N."

That seems to imply we shouldn't declare it as "Java 21 Support". Has
this happened before or is this a non-issue? Would the marketplace
entry linked above be subject to this as well ?

--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top