Re: [jdt-dev] Red Hat's Future Java Tooling Plans and JDT

Hi All,

Just want to raise here, with way forward are we looking at one or few organization who mainly run their business based on Java Tooling to lead the development of JDT.
For my experience JDT is keeping up with Java versions to compile, But when it comes the usability such as debugging and refactoring it falls behind compared to Netbeans and IntelliJ. Especially IntelliJ. For example if you are working with reactive streams and want to debug, JDT debug features are not that efficient.

I would like to see evolving JDT with vscode where we can make the java echo system which will target the modern software development. I know vscode java debug has added good support for lambda debugging for example.

So to make these dreams comes true we need one or few organizations to backup the development with funding. Are we looking into such setup with this work as well ?

Best regards,
Gayan.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 5:38 PM Eric Williams <ericwill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/25/22 09:52, Ed Merks wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Using issues seems like a reasonable request for helping to organize and
> record the exchange of ideas.  I think having the exchange of ideas
> spread out on various mailing list threads will just become unwieldy.
>
> Perhaps using discussions is a good alternative:
>
> https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/discussions
>
> Regards,
> Ed

We (Red Hat Eclipse team) are still working on the details for some of
the proposals listed in my original email. Once we have those fully
developed we will open issues to discuss them further.

In the meantime, the community is free to weigh in here:

https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/issues/542
https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/pull/541

Eric Williams
Associate Manager - IDE Services, Che Plugins/Editors, Podman Desktop
Red Hat
Toronto, Canada