Re: [jdt-dev] Generalize JUnit view

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Christian Pontesegger <christian.pontesegger@xxxxxx> wrote:
Sad to hear. Even if the new view contains all functionality from the
existing view?

Don't worry Christian, the fact that JDT will keep its legacy view about forever doesn't make a new view less interesting.
For the tools that use Language Servers and Debug Adapters, I have good hope that we'll be able to reuse such a generic view (that would also require the Debug Adapter Protocol to streamline events for tests but that's another story).
What you're doing is similar to the Generic Editor and other features targeting generic cases: JDT will be the last one to adopt it, but the feature is still very valuable. The additional complexity for you is that as we prefer having a client in the Eclipse SDK project and only JDT seems to be a possible candidate, it kinds of force to create an extension for JDT although it's not likely to be used... But anyway, it's a great case-study to ensure a good API that will serve directly many other projects.
Maybe you can try adding support for something like TestNG instead of JUnit, so at it would create some added value directly into JDT?
--
Mickael Istria