Re: [jdt-dev] Suppressing Eclipse Java Proposals

Hi Olivier

The suggested way to disable the Quick Assists/Fixes won't work, as those are not content assist proposals.

> Although the functionality is great, the net result is that students blindly follow the proposals and end up with messed-up code.
What do you mean by "messed-up code"? If we propose wrong fixes, then please file a bug report and cc me.

And, as said by Jonah if your students don't refrain from using the Quick Fixes when told so, they will for sure download a version where they are enabled again.

Dani

From:        Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse JDT general developers list." <jdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        02.12.2017 21:20
Subject:        Re: [jdt-dev] Suppressing Eclipse Java Proposals
Sent by:        jdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

You can turn off which proposals are provided with Preferences -> Java -> Editor -> Content Assist -> Advanced.

You may want to look at other settings such as Preferences -> Java -> Editor "Report Problems as you type".

If you really want to disable them in the code and rebuild, you can track down which preference each of those connect to and hardwire it (e.g. "git grep" the string in the UI and find out its preference value). (However, if you are worried about the students just turning it back on, it seems that they can obtain it from eclipse.org/downloadsand have the full functionality again.)

HTH
Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders Ltd.

www.kichwacoders.com

On 2 December 2017 at 20:13, Pr. Olivier Gruber <olivier.gruber@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am teaching Java programming directly in Eclipse and my students get confused by the Eclipse proposals to fix compiling errors.

Although the functionality is great, the net result is that students blindly follow the proposals and end up with messed-up code.

Given I want them to learn Eclipse and Java development in Eclipse, I am wondering how to:

     Suppress code proposals in the Java editor

     Suppress template proposals in the Java editor

Completion is fine, but I want just absolutely no proposal to fix compilation errors.

Doing it via setting up preferences could be a good start,

but it will not be good enough, since students would turn it back on...

So I would like to go in the code, build my own version of Eclipse, and disable the functionality entirely.

Can any one point me in the right direction in the source to short-circuit the proposals and templates.

Many thanks in advance.

Pr. Olivier Gruber.
University of Grenoble-Alpes