Re: [jdt-dev] Compiler compliance 1.7 - how to generify a Java project

Yes, you said it better than I did ... I just meant, that it is typically decided bundle by bundle, based on what the bundle "needs", instead of what is in "target environments".

For readers of this list, that are not aware of it, you might also read Bug 459399 (I am not sure if or when the PMC will change "the official policy" but that bug gives a lot of the pros and cons).

From:        Markus Keller <markus_keller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse JDT general developers list." <jdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        02/17/2015 12:55 PM
Subject:        Re: [jdt-dev] Compiler compliance 1.7 - how to generify a        Java        project
Sent by:        jdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, changing the BREE is one of the first steps to update the compliance level for a project.

Note that I wrote "we can", not "we have to". If components have a desire to stay at a lower level, they can do that. In hindsight, we waited much too long with adoption of 5/6/7 features. Java 6 has been EOL'd 2 years ago, and Java 7 will follow soon.

The BREE table in the plan is a work-in-progress, like the whole plan. The table typically gets updated to the final values after M6 (API freeze).

Markus