[jdt-dev] Targeted Ant / Eclipse Plugin?

I'd like to write a plugin for Eclipse's JDT  that does one very simple thing. I'll explain what I'm trying to accomplish since I'm not sure I know the right words to ask after the specific plugin concepts yet. I've not developed an Eclipse plugin before.

Basically, I have a jar that contains some ant tasks. To use said jar, you just stick it on your ant command line with a -lib parameter. In eclipse, I suppose the proper thing to do would be to go into your preferences and edit your Ant Runtime options to Add Task ... for each task, naming the tasks and the jar it lives in.

That works fine, however what I would like to do is simplify my user experience by giving them a plugin that would update the Ant Runtime automatically. The goal I have is to just let them put a URL in the eclipse updater and they never have to mess around with their build tool settings. If I decide to add a dependency, move a task, whatever it's basically not their problem and the plugin would just update the Ant Runtime settings appropriately.

I'm not sure if this is possible. I'm not sure if this can be done in such a way as to give each project the ability to opt-in to these sorts of settings. I'm not sure what kind of plugin this is, so the plugin APIs that would help do this aren't clear to me yet. I've only just started to look through the APIs to see if this can be done, but if anyone knows off hand if this sort of thing is possible please let me know. Thanks,

--

- Eric

Back to the top