Re: AW: [jdt-dev] JDT Goes PDE

Hi Erich,

thank you very much for responding to my mail. My knowledge of the RCP approach has been very
limited, so I spent some hours going through the links that you sent me.

From what I see there I understand (please correct me if and where I am wrong), in Eclipse
3.0 PDE it will be possible to develop J2SE Client applications. These applications will be
built atop the Eclipse Generic Workbench, a UI platform which is at the heart of Eclipse 3.0.

My vision is about J2SE client applications (with or without RCP), J2SE server applications,
J2EE web application and full-blown J2EE applications.

Similarities as they might be, my vision runs orthogonal to yours -- everything is borrowed
from PDE but abstracted, because in my opinion, PDE answers many general questions about
component orientation. Let me make up an acronym, for the sake of this discussion: JCOA --
Java Component Oriented Architecture. JCOA is about how Java components communicate
their essentials to the outside world (the keyword is manifest files), giving other components
the possibility to use, configure and extend them.

The attached document shows how and why, in my opinion, JCOA and RCP run orthogonal. Three categories
should be considered: JCOA Levels, the type of Java application and infrastructure classes.

My vision is:

1. Eclipse JDT supports JCOA at all levels.
2. Eclipse provides a hook, so that Service Providers can provide infrastructure classes at all JCOA
levels, just as Eclipse 3.0 will be playing the role of service provider with the Generic Workbench.
This is "invitation rule" and "fair play rule" in my eyes.

There are so many applications using Eclipse which would profit tremendously from Eclipse JDT provding
support just for the first three JCOA levels (or even the first two). IDE's are "your bread and butter",
and you guys are so close to filling a gap which has been around for far too long.

Cheers
Thorsten