I, Dani and Markus Keller will be interested in joining the Skype call. We can schedule any time on Monday (25th July) between 10:00 and 17:00 CEST.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarika

Inactive hide details for Moritz Beller ---07/19/2016 02:57:55 PM---Hi, I have some data about how developers debug, and I woulMoritz Beller ---07/19/2016 02:57:55 PM---Hi, I have some data about how developers debug, and I would like to share

From: Moritz Beller <m.m.beller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 07/19/2016 02:57 PM
Subject: [jdt-debug-dev] What we learned about developers' debugging behavior
Sent by: jdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I have some data about how developers debug, and I would like to share
this with you, because I think it can inform future design decision on
the Eclipse Debugger and possibly make it (even) more user friendly.

More specifically, my team and I have complemented a survey with
objective data on debugging bahvior from instrumenting the IDEs of more
than 300 Eclipse and IntelliJ developers. Some of our findings came in
quite unexpected (for example, debugging only took around 14% of
developer's IDE time and that specializations of breakpoints beyond
simple line breakpoints were less known and even much less used than
expected; most developers did not know class prepare breakpoints at
all). We have many more findings (too many to squeeze them in one
email), which, I would think, might influence the future design of the
Eclipse debugger.

Would anybody of you be interested in a casual Skype (max: 30 min) in
which I present our findings and we brainstorm about them? I would think
this might be of interest especially to Sarika and Michael.

Best
Moritz

PS. I am not some random dude off the Internet. I've made contributions
to Eclipse (Eclipse Code Recommenders), spoken at two EclipseCons and a
demo camp, and maintained and developed a set of Eclipse Plugins,
arguably most known of which might be WatchDog for Eclipse:
https://testroots.org/

--
Moritz Beller                            Twitter:  @Inventitech
TU Delft                    Software Engineering Research Group