Re: [jdt-debug-dev] What we learned about developers' debugging behavior

Hi Moritz,

Am 19.07.2016 um 11:27 schrieb Moritz Beller:
More specifically, my team and I have complemented a survey with objective data on debugging bahvior from instrumenting the IDEs of more than 300 Eclipse and IntelliJ developers. Some of our findings came in quite unexpected (for example, debugging only took around 14% of developer's IDE time and that specializations of breakpoints beyond simple line breakpoints were less known and even much less used than expected; most developers did not know class prepare breakpoints at all). We have many more findings (too many to squeeze them in one email), which, I would think, might influence the future design of the Eclipse debugger.
I am constantly appalled by how many, even seasoned, developers simply do not use the features their IDE. Many navigate by "open resource" and scrolling instead of doing "open type" and "quick outline". I could almost always wow people by adding a System.out.println() in a conditional breakpoint in a classfile. I would be greatly saddened if the approach taken would be to remove the seldom used features...rather, I would suggest making them more accessible/obvious, etc. I am currently using a language where many of the IDE and debugger features are not available. I never realized how fast I was flying before....

/Thomas

Back to the top