[jdt-debug-dev] Debugging custom scripts interpreted in Java

My company has a scripting language suited to financial analysis, evaluated by our own interpreter written in Java, which delegates script functions to underlying Java subroutines.

It would be nice to stop at breakpoints in both our scripts and in the Java code, like with the Groovy Eclipse plugin.

I studied the PyDev plugin using Jython, and was able to call Java subroutines from Python. However, because PyDev's Eclipse debugging interface is handled exclusively by the pydevd.py wrapper, it does not allow stepping into the underlying Java code, and my Java breakpoints were ignored.

The Groovy Eclipse plugin works like I would expect, but I bet they get some freebies by generating Java class files that match the rest of the process being debugged.

We prototyped a custom stand-alone IDE with simple breakpoint management, but it would be much nicer integrated into Eclipse.

What is the correct way to approach integrated debugging for my script and Java files?

Thanks!

--Andrew Mickish

Back to the top