Re: [jdt-debug-dev] JHat integration with JDT debugger planned?

There is no work underway in the SDK that corresponds to this. We had once thought about having a "snapshot and compare" facility in the variables view, but never had the resources to implement it.

Darin Wright

"Peter Arrenbrecht" <peter.arrenbrecht@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: jdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/23/2006 02:56 PM

Please respond to
peter.arrenbrecht@xxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
"Eclipse JDT Debug developers list." <jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[jdt-debug-dev] JHat integration with JDT debugger planned?

Hello

I am considering implementing something like JHat's object query
facility within the Eclipse debugger. Does anyone know if there is
already work under way on something like it? I am aware of "Show all
instances" and "..references", but my idea is different:

The idea is to have a view which is similar to a watch window, but
runs an object query whenever the debugger breaks. The query result is
shown with differences to the previous result highlighted (I am also
thinking of offering a diff view for any two such snapshots). This
would, I believe, be great for monitoring relevant excerpts of
complex, nested data structures at a glance while stepping through
code. For example:

 name; children{ name; children< }

would allow one to keep an eye on the full expansion of a recursive
tree of objects, where for every object just the name field is listed.

Queries could be rooted at a particular object selected within the
debugger, or else global across all instances in the heap.

See also: http://peomeint.blogspot.com/2006/06/querying-java-heap.html

Any pointers to existing work or ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter Arrenbrecht
http://arrenbrecht.ch/