[jdt-debug-dev] RE: [platform-debug-dev] Sharing Launch Configs: revoked

Please keep them. I was way psyched when I saw them in there...

If there are any arguments/environment settings necessary, constant import/export would be necessary, and this information needs to be versioned and kept close to the code to run.

If there are config changes between users, so beit. They'd have to change after import/export anyway... Much easier to just run and see the args to change than have to run, see there's no args, then import args, then change them, then run again...

A better solution, IMHO, would be to set up a more generic variable solution. Rather than just having CLASSPATH variables, expand them to be "eclipse environment variables". These could be used for CLASSPATHs as well as other settings.

For example, here many of our apps need

  -DDATA_DIR=c:\h\data -DGQAPI_HOME=c:\eclipse\workspace\GQAPI

passed to them. What would be more useful, would be to provide variables that could be set, like

  DATA_DIR=c:\h\data
  GQAPI_HOME=${ECLIPSE_HOME}\workspace\GQAPI

then allow the user to specify

  -DDATA_DIR=${DATA_DIR} -DGQAPI_HOME=${GQAPI_HOME}

for the program vm args.

This would allow storage of shared program arguments that don't change, leveraging general purpose variables that could be different per user.
-- Scott

Scott Stanchfield         FGM, Inc.            scott@xxxxxxx

Home Page: http://javadude.com            scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lead author of "Effective VisualAge for Java, Version 3"
                                      http://javadude.com/evaj

VisualAge for Java Tips and Tricks     http://javadude.com/vaj

AWT & Swing FAQ Manager, jGuru.com
Visit for Java Enlightenment!             http://www.jguru.com