Re: [jdt-debug-dev] HotSwap feature in Eclipse

HotSwap does work with Sun's JDK 1.4 beta 3 VM. Being the only VM we're aware
of that currently supports the new spec, it's what we use for testing.

There are limitations to the kinds of changes the VM supports, however. The
error message you're receiving seems to indicate that you're trying to make a
change that the VM doesn't support (adding/removing a method, for instance).

If you would, please enter the following code, placing a breakpoint where
indicated in comment:

public class Hello {
		Hello hello= new Hello();
		hello.hello();
	}

	public void hello() {
		System.out.println("Hello, World!"); // breakpoint here
	}
}

Debug this code to the breakpoint, change the word "World" to "Sam", and see
if you get that error again. If you don't (you shouldn't), resume the program
and make sure it prints the new text.

Let me know how it turns out,
- Jared

On Monday 07 January 2002 10:19 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please tell me if HotSwap feature in Eclipse works with Java
> 1.4 beta 3 runtime?
>
> I am using Eclipse Build 20011219 and Java 1.4 beta 3.
>
> I follow the instruction
> http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#users_15
> <http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#users_15>  but I got
> the
> following error:
>
> The name of my class which I am debugging is TestDebugger.
> TestDebugger at localhost:12172 was unable to replace the running code with
> the code in the workspace.
>
> Reason:
> Hot code replace failed - VM may be inconsistent
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> Sam

Back to the top