[jdt-core-dev] Goodbye, Eclipse!

Eclipse usage within Google has dropped to the point where it no longer makes sense to have a team of engineers contributing to the Eclipse project. This means that in the next few months my team will be dismantled and I will be reassigned to something else.

The good news is that this isn't happening right away. That leaves me with some time to document my code and help train anyone who wishes to take over the code I've been maintaining.

The biggest piece of unfinished work is the new JDT index I've been working on for the past few years. I'm quite proud of it and I think it will help us dramatically improve the performance of Eclipse. The plan had always been for me to implement the index itself and then demonstrate its usage by adopting it in the type hierarchy view. After that I had hoped to recruit some help from the rest of the community.

The index reached that point several months ago and I've been working on further improvements since then. However, it's clear now that I won't be around to finish it. If the community at large still deems this to be a worthy task, I'll need help from someone willing to take over the work. I still have some time left and I'll make myself available to write documentation and offer explanations. If you're interested, please get in touch.

I'd like to keep my commit rights; I hope to continue writing the odd bugfix if my new role permits me to do so.

I've really enjoyed my time working with the Eclipse community. You guys are awesome. Keep in touch!

- Stefan

Back to the top