Re: [jdt-core-dev] Aborted Hudson Jobs

On 13.04.2017 14:02, Jayaprakash Arthanareeswaran wrote:
Hi Stephan,

I did see those time out messages, but not much explanation in the console though. I was wondering why it was taking 160+ minutes in
the first place, but I can't figure out.

Good question.

One more detail from #2699:
13:08:55  Running org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.dom.RunAllTests
14:38:18  Build timed out (after 169 minutes). Marking the build as aborted.

=> dom tests had been running for 90 minutes without completion and no intermediate sign of life.

For #2687 it "froze" in the middle of model tests (80 min. of quiescence):

06:30:48  Running org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.model.AllJavaModelTests
06:35:59  [Ljava/util/ArrayList;]
06:36:00 [Ljava/lang/reflect/Array;, Ljava/sql/Array;, Ljava/util/concurrent/ArrayBlockingQueue;, Ljava/util/ArrayDeque;, Ljava/lang/ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException;, Ljava/util/ArrayList;, Ljava/util/ArrayPrefixHelpers;, Ljava/util/Arrays;, Ljava/util/ArraysParallelSortHelpers;, Ljava/lang/ArrayStoreException;] 06:36:00 [Ljava/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor$AbortPolicy;, Ljava/util/AbstractCollection;, Ljava/util/Spliterators$AbstractDoubleSpliterator;, Ljava/util/concurrent/AbstractExecutorService;, Ljava/nio/channels/spi/AbstractInterruptibleChannel;, Ljava/util/Spliterators$AbstractIntSpliterator;, Ljava/util/AbstractList;, Ljava/util/Spliterators$AbstractLongSpliterator;, Ljava/util/AbstractMap;, Ljava/lang/AbstractMethodError;]
06:36:19  Encoding tests using Workspace charset: UTF-8 and VM charset: UTF-8
06:36:20  Bug 110576 is not tested under linux os...
06:37:41  ClasspathTests#testInvalidClasspath1() may generate an expected Fatal Error...
06:37:41  [Fatal Error] :3:43: Element type "classpathentry" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
06:40:19  testExternalJarChanged5
08:00:32  Build timed out (after 156 minutes). Marking the build as aborted.

So, we are not looking for general slowness, but more like a bad freeze / deadlockish kind of thing.

Not good.

Looking at the hudson config:

timeout is "elastic": 200% of last non-failing job or 180 min total. Looks good.

I was looking for more options on dumping diagnostics when stuck, but found nothing.
Was it an old PDE/Build option that allowed to do things like take a screenshot when it timeouts?
Thread dumps would be perfect, right? I just filed https://bugs.eclipse.org/515272

Next time it happens, I suggest to search the hudson workspaces in locations like
target/surefire-reports for any traces/dumps/logs. Unfortunately, that information
is lost as soon as the next job starts, so you have to be quick :)

Stephan