Re: [jdt-core-dev] Builds seem to be getting aborted -> tidy up?

I've increased the "Max # of builds to keep" in the Gerrit job to 20 (like for platform.ui).
It looks like someone else already increased the timeout to "elastic" (200% of last successful build or 180 minutes).

I agree that not every commit is worth running a Gerrit build. I guess one problem is about Git/EGit/Gerrit setup and maybe people don't know they can also push to refs/heads/master of a Gerrit URL.

My preferred config is this:

[remote "origin"]
        url = "">
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        fetch = refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*
        pushurl = ssh://mkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
        rebase = true

That way, I fetch things quickly via the git: protocol, and direct pushes to upstream don't open a Gerrit change.

When I want to push to Gerrit, I click "Add Change-Id", commit, and then use "Push to Gerrit..." in the Git Repositories view. Unfortunately, that command is not available in recent versions of EGit, unless you add something like this to the config, see bug 501102:

[remote "crapForEGitBug501102"]
        url = "">
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        fetch = refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*
        push = HEAD:refs/for/master

Another nice feature of that setup is that when I push a change with Change-Id to upstream, Gerrit automatically marks the Gerrit change as merged, so I don't even have to fiddle with the Gerrit web UI. The only problem with that is if I amended or rebased the commit, pushing to Gerrit creates a new patch set, which triggers another build that I kill manually when I know it's not relevant.

Markus