Re: [jdt-core-dev] Minimal-change policy?

On 10/07/2016 12:58 AM, Stefan Xenos wrote:
The purpose of such refactoring is not just for beauty and consistency. Making our code compatible with our tools means that
everyone doesn't have to waste time fighting against our automated tools whenever they save a file. Sure we have to pay a one-time
merge cost, but it saves time on every subsequent edit of that file and should still be a net time saving. The beauty and
consistency are just a bonus..

When you assume that JDT/Core committers use save actions for code clean-up,
this assumption may not be shared with fellow committers.
Traditionally, to the best of my knowledge, the appearance of JDT/Core source code
was the result of hand crafting. When you check our committers' FAQ [1] there's
no mention of any automatic clean-ups. Apparently, nobody felt any need for it.
And so far I haven't heard of anybody having the wasteful fight you are describing.

If you wish that the team should change its habits, then you need to convince
the team that this is a worthwhile change. I personally am not convinced,
but of course I can't speak for others.

Anyway, to effectively control our development environment we should take control
over the JDT oomph setup. On this behalf, please join me on bug 501196 [2].
If we adjust the setup to our liking, there will no longer be any guessing
about habits and workspace configurations.

best,
Stephan

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_Core_Committer_FAQ
[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/501196