[jdt-core-dev] Apt processor handling

Dear JDT core developers,

A fellow Java champion pointed out to me that the annotation
processing setup in Eclipse is very complex compared to other IDEs.
Here is what we wrote me (slightly reworked for readability):

QUOTE_BEGIN
------------
- NetBeans automatically finds APT JARs in the classpath. You can't
turn it off. You can't tweak any settings.
- IntelliJ  allows to activate APT processing (per project) with a
checkbox; this will find all available APT JARs in the classpath by
default. You can also configure which JARs may be used.
- Eclipse forces you to locate and define every APT JAR by hand, per project.

This means NB is on one side of the spectrum (fully automatic) where
Eclipse is at the opposite side (fully manual), while Intellij sits
somewhere in between.

Example instructions for all IDEs can be found at
http://griffon-framework.org/tutorials/1_getting_started.html#_tutorial_1_4
------------
QUOTE_END

I have not used apt-processors myself in Eclipse but this setup sounds
relatively complex compared to the other alternatives.

Are there plans to improve this? Without knowing the technical details
here, maybe a "Search in project classpath" option could be added?

If I understood him correctly, several customers are selecting NB or
IntelliJ because of that complex Eclipse setup and I promised him to
to ping the JDT developers about this.

Best regards, Lars
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg