Re: [jdt-core-dev] question about the new JDT index work

> I am exploring this at the moment. I am looking at a situation where I don’t have any Eclipse resource
> model available, so no IJavaProject at all.
> More a list of JARs and Java source files…

Yeah, that should work fine. The index has no APIs, but the code is fairly well encapsulated and has very few dependencies on the resource tree. You should be able to copy the code fairly easily.

The only bit with a lot of resource dependencies is Indexer.java, since that's the bit that iterates over the IJavaProjects and adds the files to the index. The actual conversion of .class files into index data structures is done by the class ClassFileToIndexConverter, and I don't think that has any resource dependencies. You could probably just iterate over your .class files and use that helper to add them to your index.

The current indexer has no support for source indexing. If you want to index source files, compile them first and then index the resulting .class files.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 5:32 AM Martin Lippert <mlippert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Stefan,

> What do you want to do with it, specifically? Index another JVM language? Index another non-JVM language? Index Java code outside the IDE? Use the same style of network database for something other than language indexing?
> In your non-IDE use-case, does your code live in an IJavaProject? Is it a situation where you could still have used SearchEngine and the old-style indexer to search your code?

I am exploring this at the moment. I am looking at a situation where I don’t have any Eclipse resource model available, so no IJavaProject at all.
More a list of JARs and Java source files…

And yes, Java is the language I am looking at at the moment… :-)

The goal for me (the thing that I am trying to explore) is to query the search index for available types and their relationship.
In the future for more details, like method signatures.

> The approach you'd use would depend heavily on the answers to these questions.

What do you think, given my brief summary above?

> Note that if you're keen on the new index, you might want to consider helping me write it. I've been working on it solo for over a year and I still have a ton to do. Things would go faster if I had help.

I would love to help you with the new index - if time permits and this turns out to be the technology of choice for us… :-)
And I totally agree, you deserve a lot of help working on such an important piece of JDT.

Cheers,
-Martin