Re: [jdt-core-dev] question about the new JDT index work

Hey Stefan,

> What do you want to do with it, specifically? Index another JVM language? Index another non-JVM language? Index Java code outside the IDE? Use the same style of network database for something other than language indexing?
> In your non-IDE use-case, does your code live in an IJavaProject? Is it a situation where you could still have used SearchEngine and the old-style indexer to search your code?

I am exploring this at the moment. I am looking at a situation where I don’t have any Eclipse resource model available, so no IJavaProject at all.
More a list of JARs and Java source files…

And yes, Java is the language I am looking at at the moment… :-)

The goal for me (the thing that I am trying to explore) is to query the search index for available types and their relationship.
In the future for more details, like method signatures.

> The approach you'd use would depend heavily on the answers to these questions.

What do you think, given my brief summary above?

> Note that if you're keen on the new index, you might want to consider helping me write it. I've been working on it solo for over a year and I still have a ton to do. Things would go faster if I had help.

I would love to help you with the new index - if time permits and this turns out to be the technology of choice for us… :-)
And I totally agree, you deserve a lot of help working on such an important piece of JDT.

Cheers,
-Martin