[jdt-core-dev] Defining custom jvm support

Hi to all,

Could you please help me understanding which steps one should perform in order to add custom jvm to eclipse using jdt launching API?

My goal is to add remote jvm support. I mean literally be able to compile/run java code using remote jvm.

I've started from defining my own VMInstallType extension point. Currently it returns stub implementation of IVMInstall which install location points to nowhere currently.
This actually leads to my java classes not getting compiled since jdk library location is invalid.

The problem is that I need to access remote jvm jar files with HTTP protocol only. In other words there are number of web services defined which gives a possibility to fetch remote host files.
And VMInstallType.detectInstallationLocation uses File class, which confuses me a bit when I'm thinking how can I tie remote jvm.

Could someone please give me some hint on which classes should I pay attention to in order to implement my task, I'm not sure it is only about IVMInstallType/IVMInstall, but seems like IVMRunner also and maybe some others.

In other words, I need some high level instructions on how to add remote jvm support using http protocol, like
Implement this, register that, override this, etc.

Thanks,
Eugene

Back to the top