Re: [jdt-core-dev] EPL individual contributor agreement

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Stephan Herrmann <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I
> spent the day reading the Legal Section of the web site, and couldn't find
> this piece of information.

For a list of contacts at the Eclipse Foundation please see

 http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/contact.php

Either "EMO" or "license" should be the contacts you're seeking.

> Do contributors (to EPL licensed projects) need to sign an individual
> contributor license agreement, similar to the Apache CLA? (
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt).
>
> I'd like to use the Eclipse Public License for the Eclipse IDE for Scala,
> and I got stuck at this point.

Did you read this:
 http://www.eclipse.org/legal/committerguidelines.php
More details are in
 http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Nominating_and_Electing_a_New_Committer
(esp. sect. 1.5)

Thanks for the links, I read the first one but didn't know about the second.

I think your answer depends on things like:
- Are you planning to move the Scala IDE to Eclipse.org, or do you
  just want to apply the EPL?
 If it's the former, you should directly contact EMO.
 For the latter case I'm not even sure any one at the foundation
 is allowed to actually give legal advice.

For the moment, it won't be an eclipse.org project, I'd just like to use the EPL license.

- Do you really mean "contributor" or "committer" (in the sense
 defined in the committer guidelines)? In short: at Eclipse.org
 committer do need to sign an agreement, contributors agree to
 the conditions by attaching a patch to bugzilla and clicking "submit"
 (for small contributions). Large contributions have to be tracked
 with more dilligence.

These terms are a bit blurry at this moment, since we don't have such a detailed process for submissions. I think 'committer' is the better term, we don't usually get patches in the issue tracker. If I understand correctly, the bugzilla submission is subject to some terms and conditions that specify the contributor agrees to the licensing terms?

thank you for your answers,
iulian

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

HTH,
Stephan

--
« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Back to the top