RE: [jdt-core-dev] JDT Core 3.5 plan

Hi, Patrice.

I expect that no one is interested in a major rewrite unless there is a
significant advantage to be gained.  Although JRE 1.4 is end-of-life,
there are still plenty of people using it; and Eclipse will continue to
support compiling Java 1.4 code, so it will still be able to compile
itself.

What is the nature of your interest in "migrating the code base to Java
1.5 or 1.6", and what do you take that to mean?  E.g., are you proposing
that existing code be rewritten to use generics, or Java 6 concurrency
classes, or ...?

I'm not disagreeing (indeed, the portions of the JDT that I work on are
already written in Java 1.5 and 1.6), just wondering if you can be more
detailed about what you think should be done and what the motivation
would be.

  -Walter Harley
   JDT APT lead

Back to the top