[jdt-core-dev] Re: [jdt-ui-dev] APT generated source directory name

JDT/Core should not care at all whether the source folder name starts with a '.'.

In the Package Explorer, there's a filter for '.* resources', which is enabled by default, but can easily be disabled.
E.g., it gets disabled when the user opens a generated compilation unit, chooses Navigate > Show In > Package Explorer, and says "Yes" to remove filters.

Note that the 'Projects' view of the Java Browsing perspective does not have such a '.* resources' filter, but I think that would be easy to add.

Do you expect other mechanisms than APT to generate source files into this folder?
If not, then it might be better to include APT in the folder name, such that users have a hint who created this folder (e.g. '.apt_src' or '.generatedAPTsrc').

Cheers,
Markus

"Gary Horen" <ghoren@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: jdt-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

2005-10-12 02:17

Please respond to
"Eclipse JDT UI developers list." <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[jdt-ui-dev] APT generated source directory name

To discourage users from placing types in the APT generated source directory (a bad idea, because clean currently removes anything found there), we are planning to encourage the user to start its name with a ‘.’, so that it does not show up in the package explorer (by setting the default value at project config time to something like ‘.generated_src’. The user can of course override this if they need to see the generated types, but by default we think it’s better for them to be hidden. They can still be explored for references, navigated to, etc.

Is there any opposing argument? Does anyone know of any JDT feature that would behave in an unexpected way if the generated source directory were made invisible this way?

Thanks,
-Gary

BEAWorld 2005: coming to a city near you.  Everything you need for SOA and enterprise infrastructure success.

Register now at http://www.bea.com/4beaworld

London 11-12 Oct| Paris13-14 Oct| Prague18-19 Oct |Tokyo 25-26 Oct| Beijing 7-8 Dec