From: Gary Horen
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:45 PM
To: wlw-pgm@xxxxxxx
Cc: javelin-team@xxxxxxx
Subject: APT install available on eclipse.org!

There is now an update site available on eclipse.org that will install APT into your 3.1 vanilla Eclipse.

For those who know how to use Eclipse update, the URL is http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/apt/JdtAptUpdateSite but see instructions below regarding tools.jar

More detailed update instructions:

  • Install Eclipse 3.1 final SDK somewhere.
  • Open Eclipse.
  • Click on menu Help/Software Updates/Find and Install…
  • Select Search for new features… and click Next
  • Click New Remote Site button
  • Make up a name (APT), insert url: http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/apt/JdtAptUpdateSite
  • Close and select APT site in install dialog, hit Finish
  • Follow wizard instructions.
  • When it asks you to restart Eclipse workspace:
    • Don’t do that yet.
    • See instructions regarding tools.jar below.

Tools.jar:

Sun has not licensed redistribution of this yet, so you need to copy it from

<your jdk 1.5 root>/lib/tools.jar to

<your eclipse root>plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.apt.core_3.1.0.apt01/tools.jar

Do this after you run the update install, but before you restart the workspace.

Enable/Disable:

After you install the update, it can be disabled by going to Help/Software Updates/Manage Configuration. When it’s disabled Eclipse should act as if it were never installed. To re-enable, go to the same dialog; you need to click on the toolbar icon with the red slashed circle to get the dialog to show disabled features to re-enable it.

We hope to go public with this alpha version by the end of the week!

Try it out!

-Gary

Back to the top