[jdt-core-dev] extending JDT with a non-UI related feature

Hi there again,

I took a look at the Eclipse developers book that's
out there as
well as read up on the various documents, readmes,
blogs, etc
and it appears that JDT itself is only extensible in
that you can
create new views, actions, etc.  What I'm wondering is
how would
one go about extending JDT to add something that's
independent of
any of the views?  For example, if I wanted to add an
element listener
to JavaCore that is created and registered when the
JDT is active
how would I go about doing so?  The extension points
for the JDT
just don't seem to be there for this kind of feature.
I have to add
listeners from within an action or a view which is
limiting for what
I want to do.  Any advice or confirmation that what
I'm saying is
is true?  Is there something that I'm missing?  Thanks
for any
help insight.

-Michael