RE: [jdt-core-dev] Eclipse-conformant parser generator?

> You probably already know this but there's a nice ANTLR
> plug-in (http://antlreclipse.sourceforge.net/) for Eclipse
> available. However I don't believe it has debugging so that
> would be a nice contribution.

Yup -- there are a couple of them. Debugging would be cool. My debugger was
pretty simple. True source line debugging would rely on the JSR for
alternate language debugging (can't recall the # right now)

> This is a bit off topic, but after working with language
> tools for many years it seems to me there ought to be some
> kind of "unification" possible of most language tasks

Depends on the level. GCC has a common IR (intermediate representation) for
several languages, but I believe it is closer to an ASM level than the
source level.

However, most languages have some very common structure, even though the
syntax can be significantly different. Coming up with some common models
shouldn't really be that hard.

This is a place where homogeneous ASTs would really help, as they don't
assume what the kids are.

Definitely something interesting to think about. Of course with all the
ample time I have... I still need to finish Penumbra ;)

- Scott

Back to the top