[jdt-core-dev] Why different internal AST and org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.AST?

I would like to understand better what the rationale is of having the interface AST org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom vs the internal abstract syntax tree.
I can see that this shields the interface of implementation changes. Is this the only reason?

What capabilities are left out from the interface?
What is the plan when the language evolves?
What are the costs of having this layer?

Thanks Henrich

Back to the top