Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner

The entire old behavior is preserved. Shared working copies are silently
converted to owners under the cover.

|         |           Daniel             |
|         |           Megert/Zurich/IBM@I|
|         |           BMCH               |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           jdt-core-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org        |
|         |           07/03/2003 06:17 PM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           jdt-core-dev       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                        |
  |       To:       jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                              |
  |       Subject:  Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Of course this is how it will be done. I was talking about existing code
which did not know about owners.

Dani

             Philippe P
             Mulet/France/IBM@
             IBMFR                                                      To
             Sent by:                  jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             jdt-core-dev-admi                                          cc
             n@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner
             03.07.2003 18:05

             Please respond to
             jdt-core-dev@ecli
                  pse.org

Should be inefficient, but still work. Why not simply checking whether the
owner is yours ? (null meaning primary)

|         |           Daniel             |
|         |           Megert/Zurich/IBM@I|
|         |           BMCH               |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           jdt-core-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org        |
|         |           07/03/2003 05:46 PM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           jdt-core-dev       |

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

It is OK if the code that used to protect the content provider by testing
if the working copy is a shared one still works in the future.

Dani

             Philippe P
             Mulet/France/IBM@
             IBMFR                                                      To
             Sent by:                  jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             jdt-core-dev-admi                                          cc
             n@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner
             03.07.2003 17:31

             Please respond to
             jdt-core-dev@ecli
                  pse.org

This shouldn't be different from the old story. Working copy changes were
notified as fine-grain changes, and their respective handles (if multiple
buffer factories were in play) were all distinct. Now this is just the
same. Am I missing something ?

|         |           Daniel             |
|         |           Megert/Zurich/IBM@I|
|         |           BMCH               |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           jdt-core-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org        |
|         |           07/03/2003 05:16 PM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           jdt-core-dev       |

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>would be quite inefficient. I rather think one should just double check
>whether this delta is relevant to himself.
This "breaks" existing clients which of course currently don't check this,
e.g. a view that shows types and listens for new additions: temporary types
(types from non-primary owners) will now appear in that view.

>Now, if you care about both your owner and primary one, then yes we could
>need to add an API for surfacing the primary owner.
For now I just need to know the difference. The problem is that before I
can work with my owner I have to fix all the content providers (see above).

Dani

             Philippe P
             Mulet/France/IBM@
             IBMFR                                                      To
             Sent by:                  jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             jdt-core-dev-admi                                          cc
             n@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner
             03.07.2003 16:55

             Please respond to
             jdt-core-dev@ecli
                  pse.org

> - an API to ask for the primary owner

Testing if the owner is not you should be enough. Note that batched deltas
could have more than one owner amongst them.

> - allow to add a listener that only reports deltas for a specific owner

This would require to duplicate delta trees on a per owner basis, which
would be quite inefficient. I rather think one should just double check
whether this delta is relevant to himself.
Now, if you care about both your owner and primary one, then yes we could
need to add an API for surfacing the primary owner.

|         |           Daniel             |
|         |           Megert/Zurich/IBM@I|
|         |           BMCH               |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           jdt-core-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org        |
|         |           07/03/2003 04:09 PM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           jdt-core-dev       |

  |       To:       jdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [jdt-core-dev] Primary Owner

It seems that the Java element deltas are being reported for all kinds of
working copy owners. If so, how can a listener decide if the delta is
related to the primary working copy owner? Note: the listener has no access
to a CU i.e. it cannot use ICompilationUnit.getOwner() and compare with the
owner of the delta. What I would need is