[jdt-core-dev] Re: [eclipse-dev] request for comments - improved file encoding support

Internally JDT/Core is already using a file granularity for encoding (the
batch compiler supports it already).

Encoding changes will need to be treated as regular contents changes
(trigger reindexing etc...) but this shouldn't be a problem.
One question: how much will it cost to ask for a resource encoding ? given
some inference seems to be performed, this might be an issue for us.

|         |           Rafael            |
|         |           Chaves/Ottawa/IBM@|
|         |           IBMCA             |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           eclipse-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org       |
|         |           06/10/2003 08:49  |
|         |           PM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           eclipse-dev       |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                          |
  |       To:       eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  [eclipse-dev] request for comments - improved file encoding support                                      |
  |                                                                                                                          |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all,

Platform/Core has started working on improving file encoding support (plan
item - bug 37933). The goal is to allow clients to find out which specific
encoding should be used when reading the contents of a file using a text
stream.

The initial proposal is under the Platform/Core web area (Core Component
Planning -> Commited Items). Here is a direct link (may be split in two
lines):

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/plan_encoding_intro.html

This work would involve changing all clients of IFile.get/setContents that
use text streams  (Java Core/UI, Search, Platform Text, Compare, ...) to,
instead of using the workspace default encoding, use the resource specific
encoding, and to react to resource change notifications regarding changes
of encoding. We would also need UI (Platform/JDT) for (re)setting/browsing
encodings on resources. Also, the current mechanism in Platform Text for
setting encodings would have to be retrofiited to work with the new support
from Core.

We need feedback from the affected teams on whether this proposal makes
sense for their needs and their willingness to adopt/expose the new
functionality.

Thanks,

Rafael

Back to the top