[jdt-core-dev] Virtual memory usage

Here is a useful hint in order to better watch memory usage (from EC newsgroup).

Indeed.  A much more useful metric I find for total program footprint is
the
"VM Size".  IIRC this indicates the amount of space consumed by all
non-resident memory pages allocated for the application including those
that
may be swapped out.  [Essentially the size of all pages controlled by the
virtual memory manager]  This column can be displayed by checking "Virtual
Memory Size" in the window that pops up under View -> Select Columns...

"Jeff McAffer" <jeff_mcaffer@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> John,
>
> This is just a quirk of the Windows memory model.  You are still
consuming
> the memory.  For fun add up all the numbers you see in the task
manager's
> processes page.  Then compare this number to the memory use number on
the
> performance page.  Note very close.
>
> Many apps go to 0 memory use in the processes page if you minimize all
their
> windows.
>
> Jeff
>

> "John R. Hicks" <angryjohn69@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but I accidentally
happened
> > to notice that if I minimize the eclipse window (running Win2K...I
can't
> > speak for Linux..yet), the memory consumption goes back down to sane
> > levels.  When the window is restored, the memory level doesn't spike
back
> > up to it's existing value.
> >
> > Maybe this is a key to helping solve memory issues?
> >
> > John

Back to the top